阿比-艾莉爸爸 成長歷奇

Stories about me, my family and my daughters, Abigail & Eliana.

Abigail Jackline--Father's joy. To Connie and me, Abigail is a wonderful blessing from God, our precious jewel. God blessed us with Abigail as Connie and I went through the journey of infertility.

Eliana Faith--God answers. God hears our cries and heals us not only emotionally, but He also gives us Eliana, a precious gift, as a sign of his faithfulness.

Monday, September 08, 2008

Culture Shock


The experience I had in the orientation last week was profound (this is a new word that I learned last week ^_^)

To describe my feelings over the last week, you can imagine me having a roller-coaster ride.

Up: Having been anticipating for a new start for a long time, I enjoy meeting many people from all over the world: UK, New Zealand, Australia, Asia(China, Indonesia, Singapore, S.Korea), Africa.......People have different stories to tell of why they come to study at Regent; people from different cultures and backgrounds....and we're coming together to learn to love and support one another, and to learn about our faith....This is just so exciting.

Down: On the second day of the orientation, I began to feel stressed. As the faculty talked about the program, I just felt uneasy as I would drop 1 course to reduce my load, which means it would delay my year of graduation. Oh, how I wish to finish sooner and go back to HK!! In addition, I would need more money to finance my education and living. It's really an act of faith. Indeed I had thought of quitting my studies and go back to HK. This thought came across my mind many times along the week.

Up: The chapel (service) on the next day was my turning point. During the singspiration, we sang out a song which has a wonderful melody and lyrics:

"You're King and You reign over all things. You're King and You reign over all......"

I was so moved by this song as I noticed that God is in control of my life. I would learn to struggle and then submit to God. This song helped me to focus back to God again. I said to myself, "Who's the one to decide how much time would I stay at Regent?" God is my Lord and if He would like me to slow down a bit, I'd trust in Him and walk at a slower pace. After accepting the new decision, I do appreciate the notion behind this 'slower pace' , which make time available for more reading and reflecting on the things we learn in lectures. Other than the song, I was more relieved as I could share my concerns with a few other schoolmates that were sitting around me. We prayed together. I'm happy to make new friends through sharing and praying.

Down again: After four days of orientation, I started to make a number of friends. However, I began to feel lost and I felt a sense of loniness inside. I guess I had a yearning for more intimate friendships but which could not be easily developed quickly. I sensed that when all of the students were having coffee breaks and lunch, they tended to form small groups...but I was in neither of them...I felt quite strange as I really long for being accepted by people from different cultures and background. I guess I was in search of my identity. I could understand that we may need to overcome certain psychological barriers in order for us to become closer friends, but the feeling of being left out just simply couldn't be shaken off.

Up again: That very last day of orientation, God gave me hope again through a very familiar song I used to sing in Chinese.

My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus' Name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

The chorus of the song really caught my glance. It seemed to call my attention back to Jesus at Regent instead of merely in search of satisfaction in relationships.

The next verse also gave me comfort:

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

I would not deny my yearnings, but I really thank God for reassuring His love and grace to me so that I could face the different challenges ahead.

The most touching moment was the benediction at the end of the service. Before Professor Darrell Johnson proclaimed the blessings, he asked us to be silent for a moment as he needed to wait upon more of His instructions. Then after a while, he said, “I think this is what God wants me to say….

‘I called you here. Though it seems that you decided to come to Regent, it’s me who called you.’……”

I was so moved and truly thanked God for such assurance. No matter what the obstacles are ahead, or the many changes that I may have to face, I can rest assure that God would take care of me. May Him be glorified when people see the path that I go through.

What an unforgettable orientation week!! ^_^

3 comments:

  1. That's so normal to have such feelings when you are so new to the env't. Just take time and you would probably enjoy...perhaps finally don't want to come back HK la....haaaaaaaa! Pray for you and Connie and Abby.

    Ip's family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a children song whose lyrics are like this: "Jesus is my best friend, He is always there to xxx..."
    forget what is xxx, maybe you can fill up for it. =P
    Pray4U!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our prayers are with you.
    It is good that no matter what sort of new challenges and changes you have to face, everyday you can go back to your wife and daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Abby's Adoption Story on TVB