阿比-艾莉爸爸 成長歷奇

Stories about me, my family and my daughters, Abigail & Eliana.

Abigail Jackline--Father's joy. To Connie and me, Abigail is a wonderful blessing from God, our precious jewel. God blessed us with Abigail as Connie and I went through the journey of infertility.

Eliana Faith--God answers. God hears our cries and heals us not only emotionally, but He also gives us Eliana, a precious gift, as a sign of his faithfulness.

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Will my study be jeopardized by the recent global financial meltdown?

Has the recent global financial meltdown been affecting you? Did it bring you much worries? To me, it did. I worried about my pension money which I had been expecting to be cashed this month. This lot of money is quite important in determining how long I can stay in Canada, especially when both of Connie and I have no income.

During our return to HK three weeks ago, I noticed that my pension was not fully settled and I had worried about a great loss in the investments. I had thought of asking a deferral of cashing out the investments and wait for a better timing to do that, but I didn't do that. I tried to ask God whether I should or should not cash out the money. I was not struggling with my sense of security. In fact I struggled with the ideas of how to manage the God-entrusted money with wise stewardship, and how to discern a real faith in God's providence.

In my prayers and scripture reading, I was reminded that God is good and faithful. The Patriarchs (Abraham, Isaac, Jacob) in Genesis and the Israelites in Exodus had also experienced times of trouble, and I noticed that there're times that they might had to suffer loss(sometimes financially) But God never abandones them.

There're more twists to my findings. I tried to log onto the insurance account, but my profile was no longer valid. I then checked my bank statement online, but the money was not there. I thought that the insurance company had already processed my case and I could do nothing to alter the process. I felt peaceful and I waited for the investments to be cashed and put into my bank account. To me, I think even if I would not get my expected amount, God will somehow help us, in His miraculous ways.

I got an exciting news today. I've got the cheque of my pension!!! (actually the cheque was sent to my brother in HK) To my surprise, I didn't lose too much from the recent global financial meltdown. I was able to get the expected amount in my original financial plan, with a few thousands (HK dollars) short only!!! How wonderful!! Now the new cashflow might even present a more favourable financial condition, which helps me to sponsor Connie and Abby to become permanent residents.

As I was still talking with my brother, I had an idea of making a photocopy of the cheque and then frame it like the first cheque I got when I first started my teaching job in HK. It's a symbol for me to remember God's grace and love. Back ten years ago, I returned HK from Canada with only HK$8000. I survived!!! And more God granted me a family with a loving wife and daughter. What can I say? I really thank God for his grace.

A new chapter of stewardship and faith has just begun! I believe our stay in Vancouver will trully be a great experience for my family and others to see God's work in us.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, according to my knowledge, I'm not worry about your pension because in reality, it's an ORSO scheme and has its own way to count for profits or losses. (well, quite complicated to explain ) In God's kingdom, of course He would look after all of you.

    It's good idea to frame your 6-digit cheque. Show us in the future....^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the biggest amount of $ I've ever received in 1 single check. ^_^ With a thankful heart, I'll learn to spend it wisely.

    ReplyDelete

Abby's Adoption Story on TVB