阿比-艾莉爸爸 成長歷奇

Stories about me, my family and my daughters, Abigail & Eliana.

Abigail Jackline--Father's joy. To Connie and me, Abigail is a wonderful blessing from God, our precious jewel. God blessed us with Abigail as Connie and I went through the journey of infertility.

Eliana Faith--God answers. God hears our cries and heals us not only emotionally, but He also gives us Eliana, a precious gift, as a sign of his faithfulness.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

2 important mentors that shape my life at Regent

These two are my professors at Regent--Darrell Johnson and Rikk Watts. They both inspire me in many ways in my first year of study. I am so impressed by their love to Jesus, which inspire me to know our Lord Jesus more personally, with a deeper conviction.

My first encounter with Darrell was during the orientation. While I was overwhelmed by the culture shock and unforeseen reality, God used Darrell to speak into my heart. (see this previous post) The benediction he proclaimed in the chapel is still vividly pictured in my mind. Darrell has a caring pastoral heart that he's like a spiritual father to me. I only had a course with him this year, on the soul of ministry. From the lectures, I start to recognize signals given by my body, allowing me to pay attention to the needs physically and spiritually. I am also "aware" of my identity, that I can also be Jesus' beloved disciple. To me, it is a profound experience. Rather than a deep yearning of seeking recognition and affirmation (from God or others), I am now at ease for I know that I'm loved and accepted by God. In the future, I really wish to have more of Darrell's lectures (especially on preaching and pastorla care) if God wills.
Rikk is my professor of the New Testament Foundation course. Rikk impressed me with his passion to Jesus. I am always touched when he talks about Jesus. Rikk is a great scholar and he enlightens me especailly the way to read Scriptures and the Gospels with a historical aspect. I now notice that it's very important to have a proper worldview in order to understand the Scriptures. What was it like to Jews and Romans in the 1st century? What were their concerns? How did Jesus spoke to them? I find it very fruitful to be in Rikk's lectures. I am also inspired by his saying that it would be great to preach something about Jesus in every sermon. I hope I can also help others to know about Jesus in my teachings/sermons. I shall miss his exegesis class (how to interpret/read the bible) next year, but hopefully I can take other courses with him in the future.
I can see their love to Jesus in their words and deeds and I'm deeply touched. I really wish to be like them one day, having the same passion to witness/share about Jesus to others.

1 comment:

Abby's Adoption Story on TVB