阿比-艾莉爸爸 成長歷奇

Stories about me, my family and my daughters, Abigail & Eliana.

Abigail Jackline--Father's joy. To Connie and me, Abigail is a wonderful blessing from God, our precious jewel. God blessed us with Abigail as Connie and I went through the journey of infertility.

Eliana Faith--God answers. God hears our cries and heals us not only emotionally, but He also gives us Eliana, a precious gift, as a sign of his faithfulness.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

First week in Vancouver

Guess what we were doing as the opening ceremony of the olympics started in Beijing?
--sleeping

Really like to see the live broadcast, but we've no TV here....I saw some clips on YouTube...will try to download more from forums.

Here are some updates of what we did in these days:
1. Got a bank account settled. (The bank system here in Canada is so much different than in HK, everything here takes charges...from cheques to transactions....everything counts. I'm so lucky to open a student account so lots of these charges are waived...but I still have limited quotas for different operations)

2. Got my BC driver's license. (I don't need to do the test again because I've an expired one from Toronto which was issued within 3 yrs)
But Connie cannot get a BC license 'cause of her visitor status. She's allowed to drive with the International permit this yr. After that, we'll see what we can do for her. (maybe ask her to make a trip to HK later/see how the immigration process is doing)

3. Got 2 cell phones (1 for Connie: 778-8811492 ; 1 for me: 778-8811412) If you want to call us from HK, you also have to dial '1' in front of the phone numbers mentioned above. The phones we get here are really "old" models, but we got it really cheap. We're happy anyways. But the phone plan is way more expensive than in HK. We're paying 3 times more expensive than in HK, with poorer services (We've only 150 min....also we'll not be having voice mails, call display in order to save $ ~_~ But we can make unlimited calls to ppl using the same phone company, and the INCOMING calls during weekday evenings (from 7pm) and weekends are free) Oh Dear!!!

4. Got a chance to look at the school campus. Regent college is a small building situated in the UBC campus. But it has a nice library. I'm going to do registration really soon.

5. I can drive my own car now!!! I bought a used car and it is now insured. Thanks to our dear friend in Vancouver, we've got a Honda Civic (1998 hatchback model, gray in colour, no air con.) It reminds me of the 'little red car' my family used to drive in Toronto. When I did a little test drive on it, I know I'll like this car very much. This is the 1st car that I own, and I'll try to learn how to take care of it.

There are still lots to check out/settle in terms of school and living. Please remember us in your prayers. I do feel pressure in adjusting everything new even I've had experience in Toronto/London. I guess I haven't been out of my comfort zone for a long time. But I do see God's grace in providing us the things and people we need. I start to appreciate my mom and dad's braveness and endurance they showed as we moved from HK to Toronto in 1989. I can understand how much pressure they faced in a strange new place.

There're a few things that we'll have to figure out:
1. Really need to find out ways for giving Connie a status other than 'visitor'. I don't think I can sponsor her to immigrate to Canada 'cause we need to provide financial proofs that I can support her and Abby (for Connie: 3yrs, for Abby: 10yrs!!!!!) Wondering if Connie can apply for immigration as a skilled worker, or simply ask her to renew her visitor status every 180 days. But we're paying high costs in health insurance. sigh....~_~ Pray and see how God guides us. Another possible way would be that I get a part-time job so that I can at least show the government that I would take care of my family.

2. More importantly, we may have new changes in our housing for this year. It's a big issue...check AbbyMommy's blog for further details....we're praying and learning to experience God's grace and providence.

I really thank God for having the Chow's family in Vancouver. Not only they have helped us a lot in our settlement, but they're our great spiritual support when we could pray and share our fears and tears with them. I also thank God for the growth we see in Abby even in this short week. Abby now tends to give more facial and verbal expressions as she interacts with the lovely big sister in the Chow's family. She likes to mimick Lizzie and is more stimulated to talk and share ideas with different people. Connie and I are overjoyed to see Abby's responses to our actions/conversations.

Week one is almost over......filled with both excitement and uncertainty. Life is different (or at times, difficult) for us but we'll move on thankfully with the grace of God.

4 comments:

  1. So glad to see your update here.
    We will keep praying for you and your family.

    God will supply your needs.
    Just rely on Him.
    I am sure He will fix the problems you and your family face!

    ^_^ Garfield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,buddy. How's your banquet arrangement go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Really need to find out ways for giving Connie a status other than 'visitor'."

    You should have sorted this out before you decided to go to Canada, shouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. really touched by your heartfelt sharing. it reminds us when the time when we first come here. May our Lord take care of you as we have experienced when we first arrived. it has been really busy these days, will try to contact you soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Abby's Adoption Story on TVB